About this blog · Home · Random post · Download · Contact

About this blog


This blog is, among other things, an argument: though I hope it will reward browsing, it is not open-ended and not unordered. Effectively, it is a book. I am posting it as a blog in part to solicit comments; I expect that readers will give me some things to think about before I make a final version available as a printable and downloadable pdf.

Even this first draft was not written without help. Robert Jackson originally suggested that I do a photo-essay book; Mel Monroe encouraged me to buckle down to the job. Needless to say, neither bears any responsibility for the results. Along the way I benefited especially from discussions with Pelle Cass, Andrew Flamm, Näkki Goranin, Michelle Hauser, Dee Hibbert-Jones, Roz Leibowitz, Barbara Levine, Mel Monroe, Nick Osborn, Jonathan Pressler, Estelle Rosen, Manny Rotenberg, Paula Rotenberg, Crosley Shelvador, Nomi Talisman, and Janet West. Again, none of these people will necessarily recognize their ideas here, and they cannot be held responsible for my interpretation of them. In a couple of places I have cribbed from myself—either from my article “The Art of the Snapshot?” (here) or from my contributions to Stacy Waldman’s blog House of Mirth Photos and Ephemera (here). I have also recycled a few of the photos, either because they are favorites of mine or because they illustrate a point better than anything else I have.

I would never have written a word without the photos, so it seems to me I owe a primary debt of thanks to the many dealers and collectors who were and are my sources. If I tried to list them all I’m sure I would leave someone out. But you know who you are.

I undertook this task with quite a bit of skepticism. My feeling has always been that words add nothing to photographs, or perhaps it is fairer to say that I go to photography for something that words add nothing to. In any case I have not changed my mind. I admit that words may help convey the attitude that governs a selection of photos. I only hope that I have not weakened my photos in trying to use words for that purpose.

The header image (the “Bottle Rack” snapshot) is a Photoshop concoction. All other photos are from my collection and copyright © Joel Rotenberg. All text is copyright © Joel Rotenberg.

You can contact me at jrotenberg@mindspring.com.

July 2013


Update, March 2018. As promised, a slightly improved version of this blog is now available in book form. You can download a pdf formatted as either 8½ x 11 or A4 here.

Update, November 2018. I’ve prepared a new piece with some fresh ideas, “How to Do Things with Snapshots” (here).

Update, January 2019. This version of Looking for Snapshots includes two new posts: The politics of snapshots, Part III and Bill Morrison.

Update, March 2019. Brand-new post: Unconscious self-revelation.

Update, September 2022. Four new posts: Categories, ‘Vernacular photography,’ A one-way street? Part I and A one-way street? Part II.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *